Sullivan Fire Department’s Save The Basement Strategy Works Like A Charm

Sullivan Fire Department

Sullivan Fire DepartmentSULLIVAN, Maine — A fire that significantly damaged a small home on Route 1 Thursday appears to have started when a man living in the home tried to thaw out some water pipes that had frozen overnight. The fire was reported around 10:30 a.m. at a house within a few dozen yards of Sumner Memorial High School. Firefighters from multiple towns were paged out to help fight the blaze, sending trucks that blocked the highway in front of the school. As a result, Route 1 was shut down to traffic for approximately four hours while firefighters fought the blaze. Sadie Rodgers, who lives on the opposite side of Route 1 from the high school, said her neighbor, Wyatt Boynton, lives in the home that caught fire. He was trying to thaw out the pipes with a heater, she said, but the heater caught part of the house on fire. (read more at Bangor Daily News)