Madison Fire Department’s Save The Basement Strategy Works Like A Charm

Madison Fire Department

Madison Fire DepartmentMADISON — A Madison Avenue family lost their home and belongings early Friday in a fire fought in sub-zero temperatures by six area fire departments. No one was injured in the blaze that ripped through the second story of Bill and Betty Perry’s home about 3:15 a.m., collapsing part of the upstairs into the lower level. “It was fire coming down from upstairs; coming from the ceiling down — big black and orange smoke,” said the Perrys’ son, Michael Williams, who lives next door. “I tried to put it out with water that was on the stove, but I couldn’t do it. I’ve got a few burns here and there. It was wicked cold.” The metal roof kept the fire “like an oven” inside the building, Madison Fire Chief Roger Lightbody Sr. said. (read more at Kennebec Journal)