Workshops of note, in addition to the CareerCenter’s regular programming:
- Dollars and Sense: Budget Overhaul for Tough Times—Oct. 9, 10 a.m.–noon. This two-hour workshop will discuss the basic components for building a budget including money tracking, categorizing expenses, ways to save and cut back and short-term financial goal setting. This workshop will be presented by Maine Centers for Women, Work and Community; to register, call Laurie at 753-6612.
- Job Search, Resumes & Interview Skills from the Human Resource Professional Perspective: Oct. 18, 9 a.m. to noon: Amie Parker, Employment Manager at Bates College, will lead this informative conversation and answer questions and concerns about the job search and application process in today’s job search world.
- Transferrable Skills for Veterans: Oct. 29, 1–4 p.m. This workshop will help veterans take military experiences and “translate” them into civilian “language” for resumes and interviews. In addition to transferrable skills, job search process and resources will be discussed. Please call Rich at 753-9092 to register.
- The Job Quest: It’s a Competitive Job Market: Oct. 9 from 2–4 p.m. at the CareerCenter; Oct. 16, 3:30–5 p.m. at Central Maine Community College (for CMCC, call 755-5239 to register); or Oct. 22, 3–5 p.m. at the CareerCenter. This job search skills workshop offers the tools for a successful job search.
- Job Search, Resumes & Interview Skills: Oct. 11, 9 a.m.–12:30 p.m. at the CareerCenter or Oct. 18, 2-5 p.m. at the Auburn Public Library (call 333-6640 to register for the library session). This workshop presents an in-depth exploration of job search, resumes, applications, and interviews.
- Mock Job Interviews: Oct. 11, 1–3 p.m. or Oct. 25, 8-10 a.m. Interviewing success comes with practice and practicing in a workshop is risk-free and instructional. This workshop provides the tools needed to feel comfortable in an interview. Participating in the Resume/Interview Skills workshop is a prerequisite to attending this workshop.
- Introduction to Self-Employment: Oct. 18, 9 a.m.– noon: This introductory 3-hour workshop will help you decide if self-employment is the right choice for you. The class covers the pros and cons of owning your own business, the steps needed to get started, the major elements of a business plan, and the many resources available to help you succeed. Presented by Shirley Hamilton from Maine Centers for Women, Work and Community; please call 753-6612 to register.
CareerCenters, part of the Maine Department of Labor, offer a variety of services to help people find employment or upgrade skills. Each center provides several public-access computer workstations with Microsoft Office software, resume writing and cover letter software, Internet access and O’Net software for skills assessment. All CareerCenter services are free of charge.
Call 753-9005 (TTY users call Maine Relay 711) for additional information and to register for workshops held at the CareerCenter. The CareerCenter, located at 5 Mollison Way in Lewiston, is open 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can also find more information at the CareerCenter website, www.mainecareercenter.com .
Maine CareerCenters are an equal opportunity provider. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
October 4, 2012