Category archives for: Save The Basement

Whitefield Fire Department’s ‘Save the Basement’ Strategy Works Like a Charm

whitefield fire departmentA number of people in a Whitefield home escaped a blaze that destroyed the house Tuesday, and firefighters were back at the scene on Mills Road Wednesday morning when it rekindled. Whitefield Fire Chief Scott Higgins said Wednesday he was told some 8 to 10 people were at the home of Ted and Sarah Rideout when the fire started about 4 p.m. “I have an unconfirmed report of someone having a small burn on the hand or arm, but I haven’t seen them,” Higgins said. Firefighters left the scene about midnight, but came back this morning at 8 a.m. “As far as firefighting efforts, that went flawlessly thanks in big part to the mutual aid companies,” Higgins said from the site on Wednesday. (read more at the Kennebec Journal)

Pleasant Ridge Plantation Fire Department’s “Save the Basement” Strategy Works Like a Charm

pleasant ridge fire departmentPLEASANT RIDGE PLANTATION — Herbert Hingley, a retired builder, was asleep at his home early Wednesday morning when he heard his dog Babe barking. Babe, a Brittany spaniel who is less than a year old, jumped on her owner and started pawing at his face to get him out of bed. When he finally woke up, 73-year-old Hingley realized his house was on fire and was filling with smoke. “She’s a young dog, but she’s smart,” Hingley said. “She came in whacking me with her paws like she does when she wants to go out. She knew there was something wrong, so she came over to get me.” The fire at 205 Rowe Pond Road, which Hingley reported from a neighbor’s house around 2:30 a.m., destroyed the house that he remodeled himself about 10 years ago and many of his belongings inside. But Hingley and Babe, as well as nine other hunting dogs that Hingley keeps in a kennel outside, were unharmed. (read more at the Kennebec Journal)

Oakland Fire Department’s “Save The Basement” Strategy Works Like A Charm

oakland maine fireOAKLAND — Careless disposal of ashes from a wood stove caused a fire at 89 Water St. Thursday that destroyed a two-family house and barn and left seven people homeless, according to Fire Chief David Coughlin. “It was accidental — disposing of ashes from a wood stove, obviously too close to combustible material,” Coughlin said Friday. The displaced tenants stayed with family members Thursday night and the Red Cross will be helping them, according to Coughlin. Coughlin said Friday morning that the fire started after wood stove ashes from the first floor were taken to a shed-like roofed lean-to attached to the barn in an area where there were a lot of dry leaves. Wednesday was a windy night, Couglin noted. The ashes ignited a fire that spread to the barn, which had stairs that created a natural wind tunnel for the fire to spread, he said. The fire was reported at 10:14 a.m. Thursday. (read more at the Portland Press Herald)

Bath Fire Department’s “Save The Basement” Strategy Works Like A Charm

bath maine fireFire destroyed a house at 4 Libby Court in Bath on Thursday morning and the extreme cold posed challenges for firefighters. Firefighters were called at about 8:30 a.m. for a fire in a Ford pickup inside a carport, said fire Capt. Chris Cummings. The carport was attached to the house, and when firefighters arrived flames had spread to the wall of the house and up into the attic, he said. One person was home at the time. Nobody was injured, and two dogs and a cat made it out safely. The State Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the fire started after the resident had left a space heater underneath the pickup to thaw components frozen in the cold temperatures. (read more at the Kennebec Journal)

Unity Fire Department’s ‘Save The Basement’ Strategy Would Have Worked If Mobile Homes Had Basements

unity mobile home fireA Unity family with infant twins is searching for a new home after a fire destroyed their mobile home Sunday night. Unity Fire Chief David Smith said no one was home when the blaze occurred at approximately 11:20 p.m. Sunday at 10 Landry Place, a spur off Crowell Road. Because no one was around to report the fire until neighbors noticed it, the home was fully engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived, Smith said. The Office of the State Fire Marshal is investigating to determine the cause of the fire, Smith said. (read more at the Kennebec Journal)

Boothbay Harbor Fire Department’s ‘Save The Basement’ Strategy Works Like A Charm

boothbay harbor fire on christmasA Christmas evening fire tore through a Boothbay Harbor home at approximately 8:30 p.m. The Lakeview Road home, owned by Kate and Matthew Rice, was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived. Firefighters were able to knock down the fire but half of the two-story home was burned. No one was hurt in the fire but two dogs and a cat died. The cause of the fire was undetermined at the time of this story and firefighters from Boothbay Harbor, Boothbay, Southport and Edgecomb were still at the scene at 10 p.m (read more at the Boothbay Register)

New Sweden Fire Department’s ‘Save The Basement’ Strategy Works Like A Charm

new sweden maine fire departmentNEW SWEDEN, Maine — The combination of a working smoke detector and the family dog meant a New Sweden homeowner was able to escape his burning home early Tuesday morning with no injuries. The state fire marshal was on his way to the scene of the fire that destroyed the 380 Station Road home owned by Mark Prestwood, according to Caribou Fire Chief Scott Susi. A neighbor spotted the fire and called 911 just before 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, Susi said Tuesday morning. When firefighters arrived, he said they found the house fully ablaze and turned their attention to saving an attached garage. Susi said 20 firefighters from Caribou, Stockholm and North Lakes Fire and Rescue engaged in a “fully exterior” battle with the fire and were able to save the garage and two vehicles parked inside. (read more at Bangor Daily News)

Vienna Fire Department’s ‘Save The Basement’ Strategy Works Like A Charm

vienna maine fireVIENNA, Maine (NEWS CENTER) A late-night fire destroyed a house in the town of Vienna, Sunday. The Vienna Fire Department responded around 10 p.m. Sunday to the fire at 11 Mountain Road. When firefighters got to the scene the house was fully involved. Everyone inside the home made it out safely and there were no injuries. (see more at WCSH6.com)

Bowdoin Fire Department’s ‘Save The Basement’ Strategy Works Like A Charm

bowdoin fire departmentBOWDOIN, Maine — A family of four escaped a fire Saturday morning that destroyed their home on Lewis Hill Road and claimed the life of one of the family’s three dogs. Firefighters were called to 687 Lewis Hill Road at 7:17 a.m. Saturday for a structure fire. Bowdoin Fire Chief Tom Garrepy said when he arrived, the front of the porch and and the house were on fire. In the rural area far from any hydrant district, firefighters were challenged to get water and manpower to the scene, he said. An engine arrived with enough personnel to establish two lines of hose, but after several minutes the firefighters ran out of water and waited for tankers from Richmond, Bowdoinham, Litchfield and Lisbon to arrive. “The fire was well seated before we even had a chance to start working on it,” Garrepy said. “By the time we got everything set up, the house was fully involved. We went to a defensive mode.” Karen Brown, sons Connor, 14, and Keegan, 12, and Brown’s fiancé, Andy Riordan, all escaped the building without injury. (read more at Bangor Daily News)

Augusta Fire Department’s ‘Save The Basement’ Strategy Works Like A Charm

augusta maine fire departmentAUGUSTA — Deborah Boothby woke up to a ball of fire outside her window. “Fire, Nate!” she yelled to her 15-year-old son. They bolted out of the apartment and jumped over a railing on the back side of an 18-unit building at 36 Northern Ave. As they escaped, heat thrown from the home left them with burns. Boothby wore a bandage over the left side of her face as she spoke late Friday morning outside the Super 8 motel in Augusta, where her son was resting in a room. He’s a freshman at Cony High School who moved to the apartment with his mother when he was a baby. He’s known no other home. They lost everything, including their car, her wedding pictures and his school-issued laptop. Neighbors lost pets. “You can’t get those things back,” Boothby said. “But we’ve got to thank God we’re alive. That’s all that matters.” A massive fire that leveled the historic apartment building — built in 1845 as a boarding house for mill workers — was reported at 2 a.m. Friday. (read more at the Kennebec Journal)

Photo Gallery

Log in | Designed by Gabfire themes| Send all Inquiries to: Aubuchon@RumfordMeteor.com